In the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, the Salt Palace Convention Center is the perfect place for meetings of any size or occasion. The Salt Palace is part architectural showpiece, part modern art sculpture and all business.
The Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center, more commonly known as the Salt Palace, is a convention center in Salt Lake City, Utah and is named after Utah's 11th Governor, Calvin L. Rampton. The name "Salt Palace" was previously used by two other venues in Salt Lake City.First Salt Palace (1899-1910)The original historic Salt Palace was built in 1899 under the direction of Richard K.A. Kletting, architect, and owned by John Franklin Heath. It stood on 900 South, between State Street and Main Street in Salt Lake City. The original Salt Palace contained a dance hall, theatre, and racing track. It was destroyed by fire on August 29, 1910, and was replaced by the Majestic Hall.
The first Salt Palace in Utah was built in 1899, but was destroyed by fire in 1910. At the current location, an indoor arena called the Salt Palace was completed in 1969 and served as the home to several professional sports teams while hosting concerts and other events. In 1994 the arena was demolished and a convention center was built in its place. Two expansions to that building, in 2000 and 2005, increased its size to 679,000 square feet.
Many of the convention center's most striking visual features were obtained through the creative use of hollow structural steel in exposed applications. The entrance towers, delicate snowflake chandeliers, and grand five-story main concourse make the Salt Palace part architectural showpiece, part modern art sculpture, and ready to be all business.